Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Why do I hate department stores?

I have no idea why, but every time I hear the name of a department store, it kind of makes me cringe. I don't know what it is.

Maybe it is the fact that when I was younger, my mom used to take me into them so she could buy her expensive old lady suits to wear to work. … Maybe it's that every time I walk into JC Penny at the mall here, the first thing I see is granny panties, full coverage bras, and ugly big luggage. Maybe it's that everything is so mass produced that when I shop there, it makes me feel like everyone else in the world owns the same outfit. BUT, if that was the problem, why do I have no problem shopping at stores like Target, Charlotte Russe and Aeropostle? I don't understand!

Come to think of it, before I worked at Target, I rarely bought clothes from there. I'm trying to think of where all my clothes came from before. I think mostly Charlotte Russe, Aeropostle, and other stores like that in the mall. Usually from the sale racks.

Actually, the only stores I really ADORE shopping in are the little boutiques. I just love it that they're so inviting and usually don't have many people in them. They also don't usually have a huge selection of mass produced clothing that everyone and their sister have.

Anyway, back to my hatred of department stores. I was reading blogs (catching up from the past week and a half!) and I came across The Budget Fashionista's blog about Macy's and how they put their name on almost every department store. When I think of Macy's, I think of Miracle on 34th Street. I think of huge spaces with entirely too many unflattering things to choose from. I think of my mom's old lady business suits. I think a lot of nasty hangers full of plain, ugly, unoriginal clothes. Not a store I want to shop in.

Maybe I'm just being naïve. Maybe it's just in my head. Either way, I don't like department stores.

HOWEVER, I have never been to Saks or Norstrom or Neiman Marcus. Maybe those would change my mind. I also *LOVE* the shoe closet in Von Mahr. That is an exception to my no department stores rule.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can say that Macy's suck!! The only good things are the make-up counters and shoe department. I almost cried when Filene's closed. You would have like that department store.

SHOEGAL said...

We have Debenhams over here which is a department store that I quite like. They sell designer difussion lines but some of their own brand stuff is hideous. The shoes and bags are fantastic though!
We also have BHS (British Home Stores) which I hate - everything is old ladyish in horrid fabrics, or boring t shirts and 'mom' jeans.

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of hombre who loves to taste brand-new stuff. Presently I am making my own pv panels. I'm doing it all by myself without the help of my staff. I am utilizing the net as the only way to acheive that. I stumbled upon a very amazing website that explains how to contruct pv panels and so on. The place explains all the steps involved in solar panel building.

I am not sure about how correct the info given there iz. If some people over here who have xp with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the site it will be great and I'd extremely appreciate it, cause I extremely like solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You guys are great.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Anonymous said...

There are many interesting here. Hope to see some more in future

Anonymous said...

Hope to see same more information in futere.